I’m not what you’d call, a “big spider fan”. At the briefing this morning, the safety officer highlighted the threat of some of the local fauna…including the hobo spider. 4 or 5 folks on this complex have already been bitten. Although the people that were bitten, were people working out on the fire-line, I can’t help but look closer at the toilet seat today. Not familiar with the hobo spider? Here are some facts from HoboSpider.com:
To the right is a picture of a Hobo Spider bite. About 50% of Hobo Spider bites are ‘dry,’ meaning that no venom is injected and nothing happens to the victim. In fact, often times the victim does not even realize that he has been bit. Typically, when venom is injected, the victim will experience an immediate redness which develops around the bite then begins to disappear within a few hours. Very often, for the first 24 hours, the bite appears to be no worse than that of a mosquito; then it begins to blister in the center. Within 24 to 36 hours the blister breaks open, leaving an open, oozing ulceration.
This ulceration ‘scabs’ over within three weeks from the initial bite, leaving a permanent scar. If the bite is delivered in fatty tissue, the lesion may be very deep and extensive, not healing for over two or three years. Systematic reactions to Hobo Spider poisoning include severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, soreness and flu-like symptoms. In extreme cases where the bite was not taken care of early, skin graft, amputation, and the possibility of bone marrow failure may occur.